The Illinois House Republican caucus launched a new comprehensive platform called Reimagine Illinois to outline their priorities for the 102nd General Assembly. State Representative Tom Morrison (R-Palatine) has worked with his colleagues to help formulate the plan, which includes 81 pieces of legislation to turn these public policy goals into decisive action this legislative session. In short, Republicans are asking Illinoisans to ‘Reimagine’ their State government:
- Imagine an Illinois where corruption isn’t making headlines and lawmakers are held accountable. Imagine an Illinois with a clean, honest, transparent State government.
- Imagine an Illinois where leaders take their fiscal responsibility seriously, watching every penny instead raising taxes, increasing spending, and piling up debt year-after-year.
- Imagine an Illinois where every community has good paying jobs and access to healthcare and educational opportunities that work for all students.
- Imagine an Illinois where all neighborhoods are free of senseless violence and our streets are safe places for our kids to grow up
Reimagine Illinois consists of four components, with corresponding bills filed to reflect those initiatives:
- Ending the culture of corruption
- Responsible fiscal leadership
- Growing jobs and opportunities for our families
- Ensuring public safety.
“The State of Illinois can be successful, but there are too many roadblocks impeding our progress,” Rep. Morrison. “This plan isn’t just a goal, it’s action oriented and the Republican caucus has put the first step forward to achieving a better Illinois. I am looking forward to bipartisan support on these initiatives so we can make significant headway this session.”
Some of the specific priorities Rep. Morrison is concerned with include the state’s fiscal outlook. Under Reimagine Illinois, passing balanced budgets would be required as well as increased transparency, so that taxpayers can understand the process.
“Righting our state’s fiscal ship has been a decades old problem, but one that we can improve step by step,” continued Morrison. “We can’t simply tax and spend or continue to pass unbalanced budgets. We need fiscal accountability but also responsibility to make that change.”
A multi-faceted website – ReimagineIllinois.com – includes various tools for the public to learn about the platform by downloading PDFS, watching member video summaries and signing a petition to get engaged.